Looking to upgrade.

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
Rether16

Looking to upgrade.

Post by Rether16 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Chaps!

Not posted in a while, apologies I tend to spend most of my time just lurking on here.

I am currently been looking a upgrading from my S2 Rover-K Elise to something with a bit more grunt, when I say a "bit more" i'm actually looking at leaping to an exige 240 or 260. :P

I just have some questions:

First of all is there anything I should look out for when buying? (bear in mind I'm familiar with the Elise) is there any known faults/issues I need to look out for on the S240/260s?

Aditionally, I have been wondering about but havent seemed to find an answer when googling etc:

I'm aware that some of the stack instruments are known for loosing their memory and as a result there are a few cars I have seen for sale that have had instrument changes (fair enough) oddly though I have knoticed a lot havent had the milage corrected? When Lotus changed instruments under warrenty why didn't they do any milage correction on them?

Finally, I have heard stories about the Race Pack equipped Exiges having a limit to traction control launches. Is there any way to view the amount of times they have been "launched" or does anybody know what the limit is on the amount of launches they can do?

Many thanks :)

stratosboy

Re: Looking to upgrade.

Post by stratosboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:48 pm

can't answer your questions about S240/260 Exige cars, but I specifically didn't order Race Pack on my V6 Exige, due to the shock and stress put through the transmission system whenever Launch Mode is used. I think the ECU stores this info (how many time launch has been used - but don't know how to access it).
Why not go a step further and get even more grunt, my 2015 V6 Exige S is up for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug!) for not much more money than S2 Exige's are going for. 9500miles from new. bargain! - £36k.
Exige S - V6
Audi 20v turbo Elise Motorsport replica project

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm

I think if you are familiar with an Elise then there shouldn't be too much to look out for on an Exige. I'd just do the usual checks and research to confirm history, servicing, mileage, no prangs etc.

I have heard that some of the stack issues can be reset by various methods, see link below but some require a replacement which starts at zero again but can be logged with the main dealer to reflect the change. I'm pretty sure Jono on here had the same issue and had to get it replaced. I'll ask him and revert back.

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/help- ... ng.247449/

I believe the launch control on the V6 isn't that great and can shred the gearbox if used continually as Statosboy has said. I read that the limit was around 6-8 times before the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and a service is required. Any major issues at this point can invalidate the warranty as the ecu records it so I would check with the main dealer for that kind of info.

The v6's are epic so definitely consider one if you can stretch your budget. I've just got into one from my supercharged Elise and haven't looked back.
Exige Cup 430

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 am

stratosboy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:48 pm
Why not go a step further and get even more grunt, my 2015 V6 Exige S is up for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug!) for not much more money than S2 Exige's are going for. 9500miles from new. bargain! - £36k.
Personally I think this is the perfect solution. The newest S2's are now 10 years old so it is obvious things will need doing. The running costs of a V6 are not that different to the S2 in reality if you are using it as a toy and not a daily so don't let the comments from people who never had them tell you different. Yes they weigh a few kilos more but trust me, the power difference more than covers that :P . I had both so the differences are slightly higher road tax, 1 or 2mpg - at least the way I used to drive them :lol: - tyres were cheaper on the V6 than the A048's that were on the S2 and servicing costs via indies are not that different. I also paid less insurance for the V6 for some strange reason :unsure: .

For me Launch control has to be the most useless feature on any car that has been developed in recent times, why would you want to put so much stress into the car and drivetrain for even spirited driving?

Of course buy what you want/like but go into a 10 year old car with your eyes wide open.

Just my 2p
Exige Roadster
Blue Thunder - MG TF
Black Exige S - Gone to a good home I hope!
TVR 400 SE - The sofa has gone
Elise S1 - Long gone but not forgotten

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:10 am

whitergb wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm
The v6's are epic so definitely consider one if you can stretch your budget. I've just got into one from my supercharged Elise and haven't looked back.
Hi Lee. Didn't know you had gone to a V6 and looking at the picture it is a special one :Headbanger: .

Did you let the Elise go or did you keep it as was the plan? Still got the TVR as well?
Exige Roadster
Blue Thunder - MG TF

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 pm

Hi Dave,

Sadly I let the Elise go, it's in the showroom at Oakmere now. The very big plus side is that it made way for a vivid Green cup430. I will try and post a few pics. The TVR is still with us and going nowhere and Rachel is in a Cayman for the daily commute.

If you remember, you took me out in yours a few years ago whilst at the Monthly meet and I knew at that point that I needed one in my life, so it's all your fault😂
Exige Cup 430

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 am

Looks a great choice Lee :fantastic:

I've taken the blame from a few people changing to V6's after taking them out in the Exige after I got it, they are a great machine and I bet the 430 takes it all the way up to 11 :)

Great the TVR is still about, that will be a real future classic imo.

All the best and catch up at some point
Exige Roadster
Blue Thunder - MG TF

Rether16

Post by Rether16 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am

Sorry for the late reponse and thank you for the replies!

Ok, so in regards to the LC it seems like a bit of a no go area thanks for clearing that up and In terms of the ODO failures a dealer certificate to state when it was changed will suffice - I still think its odd that Lotus dealers wouldnt perform milage correction on the new speedo though!

Well thats thrown a spanner in the works! - I hadnt really considered the V6 as I thought they were out of my price range, I must admit they vary wildy in price! I have seen them from £35k to £85k and everything inbetween.

I have been out in a s260 and I have to say I loved it, that said, I havent even sat in a V6 Exige so maybe I dont know what I am missing. I think the first step is to get myself take out in one and see what all the fuss is about, that way I can make a choice!

Ooh, out of interest, what TVR do you own Dave? My dad has a 350i which I have the pleasure of taking out for a spin on occasion! :P
Rob

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am

Rether16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am
Ooh, out of interest, what TVR do you own Dave? My dad has a 350i which I have the pleasure of taking out for a spin on occasion! :P
Rob
Hi Rob

My TVR owning days are along time gone now, I had a Wedge - 400SE - so the big brother of your dad's 350i. I loved it as it had such character, the noise was epic. Used it for a few trackdays with NORLOG, it was a bit painful at 4mpg :lol: :lol: .

The one Lee has is a T350, it is a stunner :Ok2:

Gratuitous pic of my 400SE enclosed, is was kindly nicknamed 'The Sofa' by the NORLOG crowd :P
Attachments
TVR on A55.JPG
Exige Roadster
Blue Thunder - MG TF

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 am

Its a 2007 registered T350C in spectraflair silver.
Attachments
Photo 09-04-2017, 13 47 24.jpg
2020-08-14 12.39.54.jpg
Exige Cup 430