Commuting Buxton > Middleton - Am I mad?

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
chrisdb

Commuting Buxton > Middleton - Am I mad?

Post by chrisdb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Think there are a few folk based in Peak District on here so thought I'd stick up a post to garner opinion...

We are renting in Sale just now and I am commuting up to Bury which is not too bad, but I am going to start a new job based in Middleton in May (just off M60) and we are considering buying a house in Buxton...

Google maps suggests an hour or so when you set it to leave at 7am on a weekday morning. Looks like there are various ways to go (A6, via Glossop and M67 etc) but I guess it's not a great commute...

If we move out there I'm going to get a 335d xDrive as part of the negotiations with wife who desperately wants to live in Buxton as she has fallen in love with how much it's like a mini Edinburgh (where we used to live). So should have a good commuting/overtaking weapon and be OK for bad weather/snow.

Does anyone on here have experience of commuting on the A6 or surrounding area? Is it a total nightmare as some of our friends have suggested?

Of course plus sides to living there will be brilliant roads on the doorstep for Elise runs and great for MTB etc

Cheers
Chris
Yellow S1

jbs_type25

Re: Commuting Buxton > Middleton - Am I mad?

Post by jbs_type25 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:04 pm

I lived in Little Hayfield and travelled to Middleton on and off, I found you had to be on the M67 at the early part of 7 to avoid all the hassle. They have improved the denton roundabout at the end of the M67, and getting on the M60 Oldham direction isnt that bad anymore. It used to take me a minimum of 45 mins to get there, usually 50-55 mins. To get to Buxton from Little Hayfield is a 20 minute journey, never really affected by traffic. The A6 is a nightmare, plus your going with the rush hour traffic.
Getting back is a different kettle of fish! Motram end of the M67 is always a minimum 20 minute wait, the M60 to M67 junction is another 10 minute wait. If your not to bothered about spending alot of time stop starting then you should be OK. Also, your fuel bill will increase out of proportion to the miles you do, there are quite a few big hills between Buxton and Middleton, these take their toll in fuel and tyre wear.
Buxton is a very nice place, it has its own climate though, so can get a little harsh during winter, but for a scot, it will be like summer all year long! :Horn:

chrisdb

Post by chrisdb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Ha ha - I come from the East Lothian originally and compared to Manchester it's like the desert. It rains here ALL THE TIME!!

Thanks very much for the info, sounds like early starts are on the card which I don't mind. Think we probably need to broaden the search to Hayfield/Whaley Bridge/Disley etc to make it a little bit more manageable.

Definitely going to buy an automatic...
Yellow S1

mill

Post by mill » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:50 am

I live in Whaley Bridge and come from the surrounding area's

AVOID THE A6 AT ALL COST!! terrible road!

I tend to head through pot shrigley and into Wilmslow if i'm heading to manchester, you still hit traffic but at least you miss the A6, but your heading to the other side of Manchester so...
you can avoid going through the centre of Glossop if you take the short cut over munk's road (top of chunal hill) to get to the M67 and it's not actually that bad as long as you set off at the right time
Not sure if this link will work?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Buxto ... 545921!3e0
then heading home the back end of the 67 can really clog up at the round about so it's worth coming off at Hyde and heading through Romily/Marple/New Mills
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Middl ... 259082!3e0

About Buxton!
It's fecking freezing!
I know it's not far from where i am but you do notice the cold and lack of sun! we had the choice of anywhere in the area including Buxton but were really drawn towards Whaley
Black Exige S
Mineral white E92 M3 competition pack

oggy

Post by oggy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:56 pm

mill wrote:
About Buxton!
It's fecking freezing!
I know it's not far from where i am but you do notice the cold and lack of sun! we had the choice of anywhere in the area including Buxton but were really drawn towards Whaley

Who you kidding the only reason you went to Whaley was because you thought it was Wales and that meant more sheep. :P
brexit or not i'm still going :driving:

ANWAG

Post by ANWAG » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes keep well clear of the A6 into Hazel Grove. Standing traffic from Disley in the mornings that's 3 miles of it. All due to the airport link being built. :jaw: :jaw:

theelanman

Post by theelanman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm in Buxton.......and everywhere I've worked has been an hour plus in the car........
The thing that makes up for it all is the last half hour on twisty roads.......be prepared to get stuck if we get bad snow.....especially if you got rear wheel drive.......I've got a Saab daily and never failed to get out but can be tricky.....and yes....avoid the a6......might be better when the ring road has been built but until then we will not know when I worked in Oldham I used to drive over the tops through Charlesworth and broadbottom through Mottram cutting down into Stalybridge around Ashton and up to Oldham this took me about 15 minutes sometimes a little slow but tended to flow the M60 can be terrible at times when I used to drive into Manchester I used to drive down the M67 and get stuck at the M60 Junction as has been mentioned the M67 on the way home at the final roundabout at Hattersley is also a sticking point......
Good luck.....
Last edited by theelanman on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisdb

Post by chrisdb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 am

Brilliant thanks guys!
Yellow S1

mikeydude
Site Admin

Post by mikeydude » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:50 pm

There is another option..convince your wife to move to some of the lovely villages around the north of Manchester
Love my Elan...Learning to live with my 111R!

Graham the Interloper

Post by Graham the Interloper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:20 pm

There are lovely villages north of Manchester?

chrisdb

Post by chrisdb » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

We have considered moving further North but we spend a lot of weekends in North Wales so makes it a bit of a mission. Our biggest problem is that we don't have any family in Manchester area so we don't really have a reason to live anywhere specific so I think it might come down to the house and schools as the biggest factors.
Yellow S1

theelanman

Post by theelanman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:25 pm

snow......
Attachments
FB_IMG_1419762293215.jpg
FB_IMG_1419762293215.jpg (170.26 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
FB_IMG_1419760066933.jpg
FB_IMG_1419760066933.jpg (183.41 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
FB_IMG_1419713090865.jpg
FB_IMG_1419713090865.jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 7738 times

theelanman

Post by theelanman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:26 pm

my drive to work last year.....
Attachments
the road home.jpg
the road home.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 7738 times

mill

Post by mill » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Yep this was my journey one year lol

Black Exige S

theelanman

Post by theelanman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Should be the same tomorrow if the weather bods have got it right.......lol

mill

Post by mill » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:02 am

I hope it clears by Monday for when i get home :)

a couple more here

Black Exige S

mikeydude
Site Admin

Post by mikeydude » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:00 am

Graham the Interloper wrote:There are lovely villages north of Manchester?

Ah those of little understanding.....it's not so Grim up north
Love my Elan...Learning to live with my 111R!

Graham the Interloper

Post by Graham the Interloper » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 am

Not sure there Mikey - some right reprebates up that way. Some even have baths outdoors, well dodgy is that =)